Open consultation on proposed global SDG Indicators coded as “green” to be launched on 4 November 2015. For those who are engaging with the indicators- associated with Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) there will be further, open consultation on proposed global SDG Indicators coded as “green”. This consultation will be launched on 4 November 2015 till 7th November. A copy of the draft indicators is also available on the following link. http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/news/
The Inter Agency Expert Group (IAEG) held in Bangkok has concluded with a tentative agreement on 224 indicators. 159 of which are mostly agreed (green), and 65 of which will undergo further discussion (grey) . Further discussion on the 65 grey indicators ( if needed further discussion) is proposed to take place between December 2015-February 2016.
As agreed at the 2nd IAEG-SDGs meeting in Bangkok, an open consultation will take place on the proposed SDG Indicators that were coded as “green” ahead of the meeting. As indicated by the co-chairs of the IAEG-SDGs, additional comments on the indicators coded as “green” during the meeting can also be submitted. The consultation will be open from Wednesday, 4 November 9 am EST to Saturday, 9 am 7 November EST.
The consultation is open to observers (non-IAEG Member States and representatives of regional commissions and regional and international agencies) and other stakeholders (civil society, academia and private sector) for technical comments.
The inputs provided will be considered by the IAEG-SDGs Members in their final phase of preparation of the set of indicators to be submitted to the Statistical Commission.
The final decision on the number, type and formulation of the indicators in the global indicator framework proposal will be taken by the IAEG-SDGs Members. The IAEG will finalize their report for submission to the UN Statistical Commission (UNSC). These indicators will go forward to the UNSC with additional explanation.
An IAEG work stream on disaggregation will continue until late November to prepare ‘chapeau text’ for the report, identify targets where particular population groups are mentioned and prepare proposals for disaggregation of current indicators.
The IAEG work plan until March 2016 follows:
- 29 Oct. – 20 Nov. 2015: Consultation for IAEG Members on green indicators
- 1 Dec. – 15 Feb. 2016 : Work on grey indicators based on work plan agreed by IAEG Members for inclusion in background documents for Statistical Commission
- 29 Oct. – 20 Nov. 2015: Work stream on disaggregation: Preparation chapeau and identification of targets where particular population groups are mentioned – proposals for disaggregation of current indicators.
- 30 Nov. –7 Dec. 2015: Draft Report circulated to IAEG Members
- 7 Dec. – 16 Dec. 2015: Report for Statistical Commission is finalised for submission
- 8 December 2015: Update indicators related to climate change based on outcome of COP 21/Paris
- Mid-January 2016: meeting of the High Level Group where the IAEG-SDG co-chairs will participate
- March 2016: 3rd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
Dr. Joe Thomas
Partners in Population and Development (PPD)