Dhaka, Bangladesh — Partners in Population and Development (PPD) arranged the 3rd meeting of the National Task Force for South-South Cooperation of “Strengthening Evidence for Programming on Unintended Pregnancy (Step-Up)” Project. The meeting was held in the IEM Conference room, Directorate General of Family Planning at Karwan Bazar, Dhaka Bangladesh on Tuesday, 18th February, 2014.
The main objective of the meeting was to share the country profile with the Task Force members and relevant stakeholders to get their feedback and suggestions to enrich the country profile. The meeting was chaired by the Mr. Ganesh Chandra Sarker, Director General, Directorate General of Family Planning and Chairman of the National Task Force (NTF) for South South Cooperation, Bangladesh. Dr. Mohammad Sharif, Director (MCH) and Line Director (MCRAH), DGFP and the Member Secretary of the National Task force gave the welcome remarks. Mr. Md. Fazlul Hoque, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Partner Country Coordinator (PCC) of PPD and Coordinator of National Task Force for South-South Cooperation also present in the meeting.
Dr. Obaidur Rob, Country Director, Population Council, Bangladesh was briefly explained an overview of the Step-up project, activities of the national task force and its relevance with objective of the Step-up project. Dr. Nazrul Islam, Program Manager of PPD elaborately discussed about Step-Up evidence uptake activities on his presentation in the absence ED of PPD. The research team of ICDDRB assigned for the Step-up project presented the Country profile on behalf of the consortium. The research team also presented the research findings of Urban Adolescent Health Prevalence on unintended pregnancy.
Mr. Md. Fazlul Hoque, PCC, PPD and Coordinator of National Task Force gave a resourceful speech and explained PPD’s relevance, the history of PPD and Government’s commitment towards PPD’s secretariat as well as the philosophy of south-south cooperation and Step-up project. Dr. Lorna Tumwebaze, Deputy Executive Director of PPD gave the end remarks and vote of thanks to all Government Representative, the National task force members, Step-up consortium colleagues and participants.
The NTF generated interest in the country profile and provided recommendations that will facilitate uptake of the country profile and urban adolescent research evidence.
The attendee of the meeting:
- Mr. Ganesh Chandra Sraker, Director General, Directorate General of Family Planning, Government of Bangladesh and Chairman of NTF
- Md. Fazlul Haque, PCC and Joint secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Bangladesh and coordinator of NTF
- Dr. Mohammad Sharif, Director (MCH), Line Director (MCRAH), DGFP and the Member Secretary of the NTF
- Mr. Bikash Kishore Das, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Women and Children Affairs
- Mr. SM Abu Naser Faruk, PRO, Institute of Child and Mother Health, Matuail, Dhaka
- Ms. Shalina Akhter, Deputy Director, MIS, DGFP, U.S.M.
- Mr. Saifullah, Joint Secretary, MOHFW
- Md. Kafil Uddin, Director, DGFP
- Mr. Jalal Uddin Ahmed Hossaain, Director(Audit), DGFP
- Dr. Obaidur Rob , country Director, Population Council
- Dr. Lorna Tumwebaze, Deputy Executive Director of PPD
- Dr. Magfera Begum, Director of FPAB
- Ms. Sabiha Chowdhury, Research Officer, ICDDRB
- Ms. Yolaude Robertson, Research officer, ICDDRB
- Mr. Bidhan Kumar Sarker, Assistant Scientist, ICDDRB
- Dr. Pronab Chowdhury, M&E Specialist, Marie Stopes Bangladesh
- Dr. Shimul Koli Hossain, Assistant Director, DGFP
- Md. Humayun Kabir, Assistant Chief and Program Manager, Planning DGFP
- Md. Nazrul Islam, Program Manager, PPD
- Dr. Mahbubur Rashid, Senior Program Officer, PPD
- Masuma Billah, Advocacy and Communication Officer, PPD
- Tahrima Khan, Program Associate of PPD