Pretoria, South Africa — Partners in Population and Development (PPD) organized its 16th Annual Board meeting and 18th Executive Meeting in Pretoria South Africa with remarkable participation of its Board member. H.E. Mr. Ghulam Nabi Azad, Honorable Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India and Chair of PPD Board presided over these events. This year Board meeting, ornamented with active participation of 9 Ministers (PPD’s Board Members) from different member countries, representatives from different donor agencies, Partner Country Coordinators and Government delegation from Sri Lanka.
Participants of the Board Meeting
The Board reviewed the programs that were made in the year 2010, expressed their deepest appreciation to the Executive Director and his team .The Board Members renewed commitment and support of their respective Governments towards South-South Cooperation in the greater interest of the developing countries. The Board placed on records the substantial assistance and support of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation , Intra health, DFID, The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Venture Strategies and Population Communication to PPD.
The Board Members agreed that the 17th Annual Board meeting will be on November 2012 in Bangladesh.
Simultaneously, the 19th Executive Committee Meeting of Partners in Population and Development (PPD) was held on 1st November 2011 in Pretoria, South Africa. The following members attended the meeting:
- H.E. Mr. Ghulam Nabi Azad, Honorable Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India and Chair of PPD
- H.E. Dr. Li Bin, Minister of National Population and Family Planning Commission (NPFPC), Government of the People’s Republic of China and the Vice Chair of PPD
- H.E. Prof. Dr. AFM Ruhal Haque, Host Country Board Member and Honorable Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- Dr. Boniface Omuga K’Oyugi MBS, Secretary and CEO of National Coordinating Agency for Population and Development (NCAPD), Government of Kenya
- Prof. Habiba BEN ROMDHANE, Treasurer, PPD Board and President, Director-General National Board for Family and Population
19th Executive Committee Meeting of PPD
These meetings finalized a new Governance Charter, approved a new Administrative Manual, Financial Manual and Personnel Manual for streamlining the functioning of the organization and ensuring greater participation and transparency. The existing by-laws were revised for the first time since the inception of PPD. The amendments expanded the membership of the Executive Committee and provided for constitution of new Committees for closer and more effective oversight on Program and Financial matters. Besides reviewing the progress made in different spheres of population development, a new Strategic Business Plan for the period 2012-2014 was also approved to facilitate expansion of activities for the benefit of the member countries.
The Board unanimously re-elected its existing Executive Committee for a further 3 year term. The members of the newly constituted Executive Committee include India as Chair, China as Vice-Chair, and Kenya as Secretary, Tunisia as Treasurer and Mexico and South Africa as members and Bangladesh as a permanent member.